Saturday 30 April 2016

April....snow what! 25m tt PB!

Now as we all know April has been rather mixed, cold, snowy, wet, windy, sunny. I have no idea what to wear when training, when to go out or when to sit at home with a cuppa and look longingly out of the window. Okay the later isn't quite what I do ever, but you get the idea

April has been a month of running progress, cycling frustration and training insight. I have been listening to a podcast called cup of tri, it's amazing! The show is fantastic and some amazing insight. The interviews are so real and with a range of people to aspire to be like and look up to. I highly recommend it and will I am on tenterhooks every week waiting for the new editions to come out. 

Racing in April has been hard and but then when is a race not hard? 

I raced the Nationals at the 12 stages and man alive my running is far from where I want it to be, but after 3 months out what can you expect, so now we build to my first ever 70.3 in early June. I was able to knock 30 seconds off my time from two weeks prior, so I was happy. But it was a fast race. But the 12 stages are great races and fantastic fun days out! 

I have also competed in what has to be one of the Hardee's time trails in the country! The CCT little mountain 39.5. 




The race is crazy hilly and hard to get into a rhythm. But you just have to keep pushing. All the way! Now the race wasn't quite what I expected and actually went slower by 20seconds than last year, but my power avg was 20watts lower. So the silver lining is I'm much more aero than last year, but still frustrating to go slower. Just tired from a training week I guess and needed more rest before the event. 

25m Walsh championships

Now this was one heck of a wet race, it was cold, dark and gloomy. But felt fresh and determined before the race started. The drive to Wales was a little halted by some navigation problems, but still arrived with just enough time to pin up warm up and shape up! 

This course is designed for a PB. Although race conditions were not great due to the rain, the wind was okay and everything about my prep was good. Race started fast, watts were holding well, I was fulled up and felt good. I hit the strange and unfortunately confusing Turing point in good time (although lost about 20/25 seconds trying to figure out how to navigate the roundabouts...potential for time saving next time! 
I headed back on the limit and if I'm honest I should have saved a bit more, but hah Ho! I put everything in and was feeling a bit spent....but kept pushing! I hit the finish after a horrid last mile and hr a 25m PB of 57.17! Very happy but Defo room for improvement.

I really needed a result like this....winter has been good and I've now found out that when fresh there is no excuse! 

No comments:

Post a Comment