Tuesday 14 January 2014

12.1.14 XC Birmingham League (with a few hiccups)



It was a wonderful winters day, the sun was shinning and the chill was in the air. We arrived at the XC with plenty of time and checked out the venue. It looked like a very fast course with minimal hills. Unfortunately me and my training partner (Jason Taylor), had arrived at the wrong XC venue!

Both ourselves and Div 1 were racing in Coventry on the same day, only 10mins drive away from one another. We quickly drove to the correct venue with not too much time to spare. A quick but calculated warm up and away we went.

The race was flat, and fast. This was unlike any cross country I had previously raced and my legs were struggling to deal with the pace. This was the last race before a long over due recovery week, and I could really feel the lactate build fast!

I was finding it tough to run with people around me and had to really dig to keep any kind of decent position. I could literally feel the extra miles that I have been putting in over the festive break build up and take its toll on my race. I managed to dig and dig away, and hold on the finish with a decent position for the team. I finished an overall 27th out of 319. The team was second on the day, and put us only 20 point from a promotion position with one more race to go (8th Feb).

A huge mention needs to go out to training partner Jason Taylor who was able to out sprint and out muscle (with a huge shoulder check at the line) his closest competitor at the finish line! Great Strength!

Birmingham League Website


Team members are, from left to right:- Matt Fairlamb, Jason Taylor, Rory Johnson, Andy Peach, James Luff, Ollie Roberts, Dan Geisler, Stefan Sternkopf, Mike Stock, Lewis Roberts, Dave O'Brien and Tom Stock.
BDXCL - Worcester AC 2014 01 11

(White socks was a bad idea)

No comments:

Post a Comment